Syntactic Structure: Consistency and Dependency
- What information does syntactic structure provide and how can such information help in NLP tasks?
- What are the components of a syntactic parser and when is it used in a typical NLP pipeline?
- Why do we still build (and use) syntactic parsers when we can instead try to train an end-to-end RNN and let it figure out what syntactic structure is useful for the task?
- See slides on inductive bias
- What were the motivations behind context free grammars (CFGs) and what issues do they pose for real-life NLP tasks?
- How are dependency grammars different from CFGs and how are they better for real-life NLP tasks?
Transition-based dependency parsing
- What was Nivre’s contribution to dependency parsing algorithms?
Neural dependency parsing
- What was the motivation behind Chen and Manning’s use of neural networks to perform dependency parsing?
- Start working on Assignment 2 (Requires knowledge in tensorflow).
- Create a thread containing your answers of the discussion points above.